You are one year old today. To celebrate, I doctored this photo of a decidedly unhistorical chocolate beet cake. I hope you like it.
It's been quite a year! In one year of blogging, I have...
- worked with two cookbooks and started a third
- learned what salt pork is
- discovered the joys of cooking with animal fat
- tried and failed to make cornbread
- decided to eat more mindfully (a co-resolution with Josh)
- cooked with fish, shrimp, veal, chicken, pork, and a rabbit despite said resolution
- survived a snowstorm using my mad hearth cooking skills
- shared the tools needed to cook over a hearth fire, if others should wish to survive snowstorms
- started a container garden (and fallen in love with it)
- studied colonial Williamsburg
- survived a school trip to Washington, D.C.
- considered (and discarded) historical cleaning methods
- had only one complete cooking disaster that I couldn't eat
Dear blog, it's been much more fun having lovely readers along for the ride. Truly, thank you for reading, friends. It's such a blast to discuss historical cooking methods and weird foods with you.
Here's hoping the next year is just as fun!